What do you do when your guests cannot attend a family event such as a wedding or funeral?
Updated: Jul 14
Live video streaming has become the answer and it can be done very well or it can look like a pretty ordinary Zoom hookup.
Here are few basic tips on how to get it right.
Using a phone will work fine if you follow a few simple rules
1. Cinema orientation – a vertical phone view is fine for the teenagers who only watch videos that way anyhow - however people who are used to looking at a TV or cinema screen will appreciate the landscape view.
2. Stabilize the phone – waving a phone around at a concert is one thing but when people really want to watch something you don’t want to make them seasick. So get a gimbal, a tripod or a monopod to stabilize the phone.
3. Zoom in – most phones have very wide angle lenses – so unless you are up close, the subject matter will be insignificant. Either zoom in (which will usually degrade the image) or get a zoom attachment lens.
4. Get a microphone – the inbuilt microphone on a phone is designed for close micing, so either attach a shotgun mic or place a wireless microphone close to the person speaking.
5. Uploading direct to Facebook or YouTube Live is built in but make sure you test first.
Using a mirrorless or DSLR camera is much better and once again a few simple rules to follow.
1. Stabilise the camera – once again a tripod, gimbal or monopod will do the trick.
2. Zoom in – much easier with these cameras with optical zoom lenses that do not degrade the image.
3. Microphone – once again a shotgun or wireless mic is needed.
4. Uploading – these cameras do not have uploading capacity built in so you have to connect the camera to a laptop via a HDMI capture device and then upload to Facebook or YouTube Live via software such as OBS.
Use a professional service
While AV companies can provide a broadcast quality 4K service this is overkill for social media which generally only delivers HD. So at EventPix we have put together a rig using our professional DSLR and mirrorless cameras matched to a Blackmagic ATEM mini Pro to deliver a live edited multi camera feed for Facebook and YouTube Live at a more affordable budget.
This service is perfect for weddings, funerals and corporate events.
Call us on 1300 850 021 to discuss how live streaming can help your event.